Business Alliances/Alliances Strategy Development
Strategy and Assistance in Setting up Desktops ATMs Across India
About the client
A leading payment services company in India was looking to deploy a new type of ATM (Desktop ATM), which are much smaller in size, across the country.
The project objective was to help the client in developing a strategy and provide assistance in setting up 1,000 Desktop ATMs across India. Strategic questions included:
- What should be the operating model to make it commercially viable?
- What should be the commercial and partnership model for potential partners?
- What should be the evaluation matrix for selecting deployment locations and partners?
- Conducted a detailed market mapping exercise covering consumers and trade partners. This included:
- Consumer Research – perceptions, beliefs, usage patterns, pain points, unmet needs and expectations from “money withdrawal” and “non cash transactions”, with a primary focus on ATMs
- Trade research to understand:
- Expectations of potential partners
- Offering and model of companies requiring small spaces
- Working model and expectation of intermediaries
- Devised the deployment strategy for the Desktop ATMs covering:
- Product positioning & USP, key success factors
- Deployment / operating model to make it commercially viable
- Location / placement strategy and franchising /partnership strategy
- Branding, promotion, consumer awareness and engagement strategy
- Helped develop a “go to market” kit, to be used as a guideline for approaching and negotiating with the potential partners. This included:
- Business proposal to the partners/ franchisees
- Expectations from the partners and company support
- Expense details and minimum requirements
- Standard contract terms
- Identified cities, locations and short listing of potential partners
- Along with the client, decided the cities wherein the Desktop ATMs will be deployed
- Identified potential locations and probable business partners/ franchisees, based on the strategy defined for desktop ATM’s, and as per the Evaluation Matrix
- Facilitated meetings, negotiations and finalization of deals
- Approached selected potential partners to gauge their prima facie interest in the proposal and accordingly, scheduled meetings with the sales team
- Also worked to facilitate negotiations and finally close the deal