Commercials Due Diligence / Investment Feasibility Studies
Assessing Future Potential of Airport Retail in India
About the client
The client, an international airport operator, wanted to assess the potential of airport retail in India in next 20 years.
The client wanted Wazir to validate their approach on assessing future commercial B2C revenues from airport retail in India and also offer perspectives and insights on future Indian airport consumer.
Scope of the project included:
- Reviewing the approach taken to diagnose the current performance of the airport.
- Reviewing the approach taken to estimate the future growth of consumer spending on Indian airports.
- What is the evolution of consumer spending and consumption mix by various product categories sold on airports?
- What are the consumption differences between Tier 2 city vs Tier 1 city airports?
Wazir provided a detailed report covering the following:
- Growth of domestic retail industry, changing consumption basket of Indian consumer, emerging consumption categories, changing spend, etc.
- Consumer buying behavior across key consumption categories like fashion, food, electronics affecting airport retail.
- Insights on changing behaviour of Indian consumers and their performance at airport stores through interactions with industry players.
- Analysed current performance of the airport retail in India by benchmarking critical sales parameters and estimated future performance.
Business Due Diligence of a Potential Investee Company
About the client
A global private equity firm wanted to evaluate an investment in a kitchenware and kitchen appliances company in India.
Core objective was to undertake a business due diligence of the company entailing assessment of the brand and its growth potential. Key strategic questions answered included:
- What is the current brand strength and can it be leverage for category extension?
- How satisfied are existing channel partners with the brand and their willingness to partner the brand to further growth?
- How is the brand faring in comparison to its competitors?
- Mapping the kitchenware market in India to provide category trends and market dynamics. This included:
- Size, structure and future outlook, market segmentation
- Growth drivers and challenges and upcoming trends
- As-is-analysis of the company’s existing business to understand:
- Current brand positioning
- Key brand strengths and weaknesses
- Product price mix and range depth and width
- Strength of existing channel partners and their growth potential
- Mapping key competitors in the market:
- Major players–international / national /regional and the intensity of competition
- Relative position of major competitors on price, product, penetration, brand equity
- Geographical nature of these brands – pan India, regional or city based
- Value chain analysis:
- Perception / satisfaction of the channel partners for the brand vis-à-vis competitors
- Existing trade terms and margins structures across various channels