India Entry strategy
India Entry Strategy for Launching a Premium Apparel Brand
About the client
A leading international textile company engaged in the manufacturing of shirting and sportswear fabrics was planning to launch a premium shirts brand in India.
The project objective was to develop an India entry strategy and business plan. Key questions to be answered included:
- What is the business model, price positioning, offerings, etc. of key players?
- What should be the appropriate positioning, target consumers and product price mix?
- What should be the channel strategy – EBOs /MBOs/LFS?
- What should be the 5 year roll-out plan and operating model? What will be the investment, revenue projections, expenses and profitability?
- Provided detailed analysis of the Indian premium shirt market (fabric and readymade):
- Industry overview – structure, size, growth rate, consumer segmentation, etc.
- Mapping major competitors – business models, price positioning, product offering, target consumers, market penetration & business performance, brand attribute
- Consumer research – Consumer buying behavior, tastes & preferences, purchase influencers, purchase frequency, current gaps in offerings, willingness to spend
- Formulated business strategy:
- Target consumers, appropriate brand positioning and key value proposition
- Product categories and recommended channels, and phase-out plan
- Marketing and branding strategy
- Roll out and expansion plan
- Formulated operating strategy
- Business structure in India (100% own subsidiary / JV / distribution partner )
- Pros and cons and commercial terms of each operating model
- Developed an implementation roadmap:
- Identifying cities and determining pace of roll-out, including criteria for site selection
- Timeframe for business achieving key milestones
- Developed a business and financial plan as per the suggested strategy highlighting revenues, operating expenses, investment requirements and working capital requirements